Ballymun Kickham’s vs St Brigid’s – Analysis Report

By  | 

Ballymun Kickums: 1-17 St Brigids: 1-9

Ballymun Kickham’s overcame a shaky start to get past St Brigid’s on Saturday night.
St Brigid’s made the dream start as they opened up a 1-3 to no score lead in the sixth minute.

The goal came as a result of a slow, short kick out by Ballymun that was turned over, and played to Philly Ryan who finished past Currie.

Ballymun conceded this 1-3 in the first half, either directly from losing their own short kick-outs, or upon the first turnover on ones they won.

ballymun brigids 11 brig chance

Brigid’s caused havoc early on

Currie’s inclination towards short kick-outs was surely borne out of John O’Loughlin’s dominance of midfield when these teams met last year. And, in fact, on the first long kick out, O’Loughlin made an impressive catch over McCarthy. From that point on, however, McCarthy went on to dominate their match up.

As the match began to settle down, Ballymun began to eat into the Brigids’ lead.
Philly McMahon played as a seventh defender, where Brigids’ Niall Davey man-marked him. Davey managed to disrupt McMahon in terms of play-making, but the space left by McMahon made ideal an hunting ground for the Ballymun forward line, particularly Paddy Small.

ballymun brigids 6 philly mac

Davey stayed close to McMahon

Paddy’s brother John, picked up Paddy Andrews in the Brigid’s forward line while Alan Hubbard took up Philly Ryan.

St Brigids played a high-risk game on Ballymun’s kick outs. While their pushing up fully starved Seán Currie of the short option, it left them open to a long ball over the top of the majority of their players. Against athletes like McCarthy, Jason Whelan and James Burke, the risks of this strategy ran even higher.

Mark Cahill played a role similar to Cian O’Sullivan’s for Dublin. He held the centre back position, joining attacks late from behind but didn’t mark Dean Rock at centre forward. Alan Daly picked up Rock and limited him to three points from play.

As the half wore on, and Ballymun looking the more threatening, it was Rock and Paddy Small who kept the scoreboard moving.

ballymun brigids 9 small paddy

Paddy Small kicks one of 1-6 from play

With Balymun beginning to get the upper-hand, three one-on-one saves from Shane Supple kept St Brigid’s noses in front.

Having paid dividends in the last round, St Brigids moved O’Loughlin to the edge of the square in the 22nd minute. However, with either John Small or McMahon picking him up, he wasn’t able to cause the same problems as he had against Thomas Davis.

The teams finally drew level in the 27th minute when a long ball played in by Rock, was gathered by Eoin O’Neill after what could be described as a ‘Seamus Darby’ style contact on his marker. O’ Neill did well to draw Supple to him before hand-passing the ball across goal where Paddy Small palmed to the net.

A Lorcan McCarthy free in the 29th minute left St Brigids a point up at the break. However, given their start, undoubtedly, the Blanchardstown side would have expected to be further ahead.

ballymun brigids 5 supple

Supple saves one of three one-on-ones in the first half

Ballymun brought recent All-Ireland winning substitute keeper, Evan Comerford, on in goal for the second half. Comerford looked calm under high balls and distributed the ball well from play. The best save of the half, however, was made by James Burke, who got an acrobatic leg to a Philly Ryan shot in the 40th minute. It was Brigids’ last chance to get a hold on the game again.

Ballymun would completely dominate the second half, with John Small, Alan Hubbard and Eoin Dolan defending well, often man-on-man, and Rock and Paddy Small running riot up front.

Small was unlucky not to have a second goal in the 46th minute when no less than three rebounded shots were saved by the St Brigid’s rear-guard.

James McCarthy, Jason Whelan and Kevin Leahy began to run at the St Brigid’s defence more and more which kept Cahill and the impressive Malachy Tighe on the back foot.

ballymun brigids 2 whelan shot

Whelan makes an incisive run

St Brigids were unable to score for the last 21 minutes of the match as Rock and Small combined for nine second half points, Small’s left footed effort in the 54th minute the pick of the bunch.

That Ballymun outscored St Brigids 1-17 to 0-6 from the 6th minute on, was probably a fair reflection of their dominance from that point on.
This victory sets up an intriguing, all action semi-final showdown with Kilmacud Crokes on 14th October.

*in depth tactical and statistical analysis on Croke’s vs Castleknock to follow tomorrow*

Ballymun Kickham’s: Sean Currie, Colin Moore, Eoin Dolan, Alan Hubbard, Carl Keeley, John Small, James Burke (0-2), Aaron Elliot, James McCarthy, Jason Whelan (0-1), Dean Rock (0-8 4f 1 65), Kevin Leahy, Eoin O’Neill, Paddy Small (1-6), Philly McMahon, Evan Comerford (Currie HT) Dillon Keating (O’Neill 57) Colm Hulton (Leahy 60) Karl Connolly (Moore 62)

St Brigids: Shane Supple, Alan McCarrick, Alan Daly, Colin Lynch, Gavin Kane, Mark Cahill, Malachy Tighe (0-2), Cathal Doyle, John O’Loughlin, Lorcan McCarthy (0-5 4f), Paddy Andrews (0-2), Daire Plunkett, Niall Davey, Darren Freeman, Philip Ryan (1-0), Jack Mullins (McCarrick 12) Cian Mullins (Davey 48) Kevin Callaghan (Freeman 50) Mark Donnelly (Tighe 52)

By Conor Dunne